- Remove center rack and preheat oven to 325 °F (163 °C) . In a heavy stovetop and oven-safe dutch oven, heat on medium then add 2 tbsp olive oil and red onions. Stir and cook about 2 minutes, until slightly softened, then add carrots and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add whole allspice berries, tomato paste, bone broth and wine and bring to a simmer.
- Turn off heat, nestle lamb shanks inside, slightly submerged in liquid, and place a rosemary sprig on top of each shank.
- Cover and transfer to oven for 3 hours.
- In a food processor, combine Italian parsley, cilantro, shallot, garlic, serrano pepper, lemon juice, 1/2 cup olive oil and salt & pepper. Pulse until well incorporated, then scrape into a jar and set aside.
- Remove the very end from the bok choy heads and then cut each whole head in 1/2 inch slices, whites and leaves included.
- In a heavy skillet, heat remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, then toss in bok choy. Cook over medium, stirring occasionally until some edges begin to brown, about 6 minutes.
- Serve whole lamb shank with a scoop of the braised carrots and onions and a side of the bok choy. The chimichurri can be drizzled on top of the lamb or served in a ramekin on the side for dipping. Alternatively, you may pull the meat off the bone before serving smaller portions of the lamb.
- You may sub beef or vegetable stock for the bone broth if you choose.