- Preheat oven to 325 °F (163 °C) .
- Slice both halves of the kabocha squash into 1 inch thick crescents, then spread out on a baking sheet so they all lay flat.
- Drizzle with half of the olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Bake at 325 °F (163 °C) for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a stock pot and add remaining olive oil. Add shallots and saute for about 5 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir.
- Add bone broth to the shallots and let it get warm.
- Remove kabocha squash from the oven, flip each piece and pop back in the oven for another 10 minutes, then remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- Pour liquid and shallots into a blender and add kabocha squash. Blend on high until perfectly smooth, then pour back into stock pot to heat further before serving.
- You may sub onion for shallot and chicken, beef or vegetable stock for the bone broth if you choose.
- You may also use an inversion blender instead of a standard one by adding kabocha squash to the stock pot before blending.