Serves 4 people
- Smoked Trout :: 8 oz
- Fennel Bulb :: 2 :: (medium, sliced)
- Avocado :: 1:: (large, chopped)
- Red Onion :: 1/2 :: (medium, diced)
- Dried Goji Berries :: 1/2 cup
- Butter Lettuce :: 2 head :: (small)
- Olive Oil :: 10 tbsp
- Dijon Mustard :: 1 tbsp
- Champagne Vinegar :: 4 tbsp
- Shallots :: 1: (small, minced)
- Salt :: 1 tsp :: (or to taste)
- Pepper :: :: (several grinds)
- Spread out sliced fennel bulbs in a large baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Bake in a 325 °F (163 °C) oven for about 10 minutes, then toss them around, spread out again and pop back in the oven for another 10.
- Once crispy and browned, remove and set aside to cool.
- Carefully remove leaves from butter lettuce heads and tear each into a few pieces, tossing into a large salad bowl.
- Add the roasted fennel bulb slices, then crumble the smoked trout on top. Add avocado, red onion and goji berries.
- In a small jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil, dijon mustard, champagne vinegar, minced shallot and salt & pepper.
- Shake well, then drizzle over the top of the salad before tossing and serving.